#1: To GROW
"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 3:18
From this verse we see two area's of growth that every Christian needs to progress in.
- First, Christians are to grow in grace. The whole reason why we are able to have a personal relationship with Christ and have our sins forgiven is because of the Grace of God. Grace, unmerited favor from God, is not only how this relationship is started but also how this relationship is maintained. It's totally a work of God through and through.
- Second, Christians need to grow in knowledge. To know Christ better not just intellectually but also experientially is absolutely essential. To know the heart of God, to feel what he feels, love as he loves, be passionate as he is passionate is what being on mission with Christ is all about.
"It was he (God) who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastor's and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." Ephesians 4:11-13
From this verse we see God's resources and God's measuring stick for this growth in the knowledge and grace of God.
- God's Resources: Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastor and Teachers. People! Using people to help us grow in our faith is what God uses.
- God's Measuring Stick: Christ Himself. That's right. When God measures your growth he's comparing you to His perfect own son. God doesn't compare us to each other but to Christ himself. This is both a humbling and motivating standard. Humbling because there will always be room for improvement and motivating because there will always be roon for improvement.
#2: To Glow
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." Matthew 5:16
- THE MEANS: Light. Being the light is our service to both God and people. It is our good deeds that we perform.
- THE APPROACH: Doing your good deeds in a way that people can see them.
- THE PURPOSE: So that God gets all the glory and not us.
"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Eph. 2:10
While it is true we are not saved by our good works - it is also true that we were saved to do good works. Doing good works is a large part of what missional living is all about. These good works have been established by God long before we were ever born.
#3: To Go
"Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16:15
"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to observe all that I commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20
TWO IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER FROM THESE VERSES:
- Both of these verses tell us to "Go". Missional Living is an intentional act of "going" by Christ's Followers. We are to go to those who haven't heard yet.
- Also, these verses show that a duty of a Christian is to "Make Disciples" through the sharing of the Gospel.
So, how well are you GROWING, GLOWING & GOING? Growth is necessary for the spiritual strength that is required for living a missional life. Glowing is necessary so people can see God our Father and glorify Him. and Going is essential because without other many will never hear.